Bonfire Night

Bonfire night is one of the most exciting nights of the year for both adults and children. Its great to get out and see the fire roar and watch the fantastic spectacle of the fireworks display. However,  it is very important to stay safe whilst attending a organised or indeed your own bonfire and firework event.

Every year despite warnings from local council, fire and rescue services and tv/radio campaigns people are injured and suffer burns as a result of not following simple guidance and advice about staying safe with bonfires, fireworks and sparklers.

Simple advice such as stand far enough away from the bonfire and fireworks, don’t go near a firework once it has been lit and don’t use sparklers without wearing gloves are often forgotten resulting in injuries and in particular burns.

A burn is a type of injury to skin and surrounding tissues, caused by heat, electricity, chemicals, friction, or radiation. Burns can be minor, causing reddening of the skin and perhaps a small blister and such injuries can be treated successfully by first aid and will heal naturally. Burns can sometimes be deep and cover large surface area and will require further medical assistance. Our priority as first aiders is to cool the burn by flooding the burnt area with cold water as quickly as possible. This will stop the burning by killing the heat, minimise swelling and relieve pain and when cooled sufficiently, we can cover the burn to minimise the risk of infection. This can be done by wrapping  cling film loosely around the limb, or using a sterile non fluffy dressing. Do not apply lotions or ointments, do not burst blisters and do not remove clothing that is stuck to the burn. If unsure or concerned about the seriousness of a burn or scald, advise the casualty to seek medical advice.

Where ever you are have a safe and enjoyable bonfire night!